Moving In

Key Collection

Your keys will be available for you to collect from the reception at Housing Services from 11am on the day your tenancy begins:

University Student Homes
Housing Services, 4th Floor,
Student Central,
2 Malet Street, London,

Please bring some ID with you (student card, passport, or driving licence) when you visit the office to collect your keys.

The reception is open until 5pm. If you will be arriving in London after this time please contact us so we can make alternative key collection arrangements for you. Throughout September our office is also open on Saturday's between 10am - 2pm for new tenants to be able to collect keys.

View our Tenants Handbook for practical advice and information that we hope you'll find helpful ahead of your move and once you're in your chosen Student Home.


When you Arrive at the Property

Arriving at your Property

  Problems: We hope you find your accommodation to your liking when you move in. However, should you encounter any problems (whether big or small) or have any concerns at all do get in touch with us straight away so we can look to put them right for you. If we don't know about an issue we can't help out. We do our best to ensure that your tenancy gets off to a good start, including having all properties professional cleaned before a new tenancy begins, and making several visits to check the property ourselves. We are only human (unfortunately), so in the event that we have missed something don't be shy about letting us know!

  Inventory: Shortly after you move in you will be provided with an inventory for your bedroom and property: please check this and let us know if you are happy with the inventory or if you'd like us to review it. If we don't hear from you after you have been sent your inventory we'll assume that you are happy with it, without us needing to make any amendments. You'll be provided with your inventory in order that you can check it against the property itself - once you've made your checks we'll ask you to sign the inventory, we'll also countersign it.

  Utility Bills: Taking meter readings and setting up your Utility Accounts:

You will need to take your electric and gas meter readings in order to set up accounts (if you're struggling with this check your inventory where we've included the meter readings we took just before you moved in). The location of the electricity and gas meters in your property is included within your Welcome Pack. Once you have taken meter readings, you can call the following numbers to find out who currently supplies your property and to set up an account. Remember to set up the account jointly in all tenants’ names:

Gas Meter Helpline: 0870 608 1524

Electricity Meter Helpline: 0800 029 4283

You can also find out your electricity supplier online:

Who is My Electricity Supplier?

You also need to set up an account for water. You pay an annual rate for the water that you use (99% of our properties don't have water meters, we'll let you know if your property does have a meter) - Thames Water is the supplier for all of London. You can split your payments up into quarterly or monthly payments if you prefer.

Thames Water: 0800 980 8800
Thames Water Online New Occupier Form:
I Want to Set up My Water Account Online

For information and to get some freebies to help you save water (& do your bit for the environment) follow the links below:

Thames Water Freebies: Show Me Where to Get My Freebies!

  Glide: If you're living in a larger shared property and don't want the hassle of taking meter readings and collecting money from each tenant, you could opt to have your Utility Bills taken care of by Glide. We have brochures in the office you can collect, or you can have a look at their website for more information:
Tell Me More About Glide

 You may also find 'Splittable' handy - this is a website where the developers have tools to help you split bills and expenses between housemates.
Let me get Splitting!


Some information we hope you'll find useful to help you set up internet at your property if you need to:

Name of Provider


Contact Number

Indicative Cost


0330 686 6460

£20 per month

Virgin Media

0800 064 3839

£28.50 per month


0330 1234 150

£27 per month


0808 108 0365

£16.70 per month


  Rubbish/Recycling: Find out when yours is collected:
When Does My Rubbish Get Collected?

  TV Licence: If you have a TV in your property you should buy a licence for it. Information can be found here: Tell Me More About TV Licences
A colour TV licence is £145.50 and a black and white licence £49.00. If you have a TV inside your bedroom, and your bedroom door is lockable (you can lock it with a key from the outside), you should purchase a separate licence to cover your TV. If you don't need a TV licence - let the licensing company know by completing a declaration form online (it saves you receiving a lot of letters!):
I Don't Need A TV Licence - Stop Writing to Me!

 Council Tax: As a full time student you are not eligible to pay council tax from the date your course starts until the date that it ends. You're likely to receive a form through from the council during your tenancy which you should complete and return to them – you will then receive a bill from the council showing the tax owing as £0 and your student exemptions as having been applied. Alternatively, you can apply for an exemption online through your council's website. Find out who your council is: Help me Find Out Who My Council Is. 

Look for a student council tax exemption form and simply complete and submit it.

In order to help you out with registering your council tax exemption - we will email you once you've had chance to settle into your property, and get into the swing of things at your College or University, to request that you send us a copy of your student exemption/enrolment certificate. We'll then register your exemption with the council if you haven't done so already yourself.

It's important that your exemptions are registered so you're not wrongly charged for council tax and in order that no escalation action is taking against you and fees incurred. If your studies finish before your tenancy does you should be aware that you will be liable for any council tax owing from the date your study finishes: the same applies if your tenancy began before your study officially did.

If you need to get your exemption certificate from your College/University, the information below should point you in the right direction:

King's College Students: I Need My Exemption Certificate

Royal Academy of Music Students: I Need My Exemption Certificate

Goldsmith's Students: I Need My Exemption Certificate

SOAS Students - SOAS tell you use to your Enrolment Certificate:
I Need My Enrolment Certificate

London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine Students:
You can obtain a Student Council Tax Exemption Certificate from LSHTM'S Registry Services...

By Visiting the Office: Room G90 of the Keppel Street Building (9.15am - 4pm)
By Email:
By Calling: 020 7299 4646 (9am - 4.45pm)

UCL Students: I Need My Statement of Student Status

  Contents Insurance:

Your contents. Covered.

University of London Student Homes is working in partnership with Endsleigh, the No. 1 student insurance provider, to provide some cover for the contents inside your room. You don’t need to do anything to activate this cover, but it is important for you to check and ensure that you fully understand the protection provided and whether it is sufficient for your needs.

Visit check your cover to:

  • Check your level of cover
  • Review key exclusions and limitations
  • Check your policy excess
  • Learn how to make a claim
  • Extend and personalise your cover to protect laptops, phones and other valuables

Endsleigh knows that life can grind to a halt without your possessions, so it is worth spending a few minutes to establish whether the things that matter to you most are protected both inside and outside your room. They are the only insurance provider recommended by NUS and have been shaping their products and services around their customers’ needs for over 50 years.

Developing products built for students, Endsleigh understands that protecting and replacing gadgets quickly is hugely important to students; that’s why they will replace any lost, stolen or unrepairable gadgets within 24 hours of your claim being approved. Their cover can protect gadgets, watches, bikes and musical instruments under one policy—giving you the flexibility to build your cover to protect the things that matter to you most.

To find out more, visit check your cover

You can also view the 2018/19 certificate of insurance here:

I want to see the 2019/20 Certificate of Insurance